Yield: Makes 12-16 Brownies
Black Bean Brownie Ingredients:
- 1 Can Black Beans (540 mL – Rinsed and Drained)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Eggwhites (or 3 Eggs in total)
- 1/3 Cup Pumpkin Puree (or unsweetened apple sauce)
- 1/2 Cup Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Natural Peanut Butter
- 2 tsp Tri-Pow (Chlorella & Spirulina)
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Honey (you can add a bit more if you prefer sweeter, or use 2 tbsp Xylitol)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Instant Coffee (Optional, makes chocolate flavour pop!)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (more if you wish)
Option: Instead of Peanut butter, you could make these mint chocolate brownies and add 4 drops of Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Place all black bean brownie ingredients into your blender/food processor and blend until smooth.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil
- Evenly spread batter into baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Sticking a tooth pick in the middle and pulling it out clean will ensure your brownies are baked fully.
- Remove from oven when baked and let set in the baking dish for about 10 minutes.
- Gently cut brownies, serve and enjoy!
Optional: For you Peanut Butter lovers (like myself) out there, spread some natural PB as a topping, sprinkle with cinnamon! 🙂
Black Beans: high in fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin B6 – great for heart health! As well, fibre stabilizes your blood sugar levels and keeps you satiated! Black beans are also high in protein content!
Peanut Butter: When it comes to peanut butter, organic and natural is best because non-organic PB is high in toxins. The poly- and monounsaturated fats in PB lower your risk of developing heart disease by reducing the amount of harmful cholesterol in your bloodstream, and also prevent type 2 diabetes. PB is also has potassium, which helps your nerves function properly and aids in heart function. Peanut butter offers a small quantity of protein too. In addition, PB contains a specific compound that fights the effects of stress: beta-sitosterol! Yay for PB!!
Cocoa Powder: packed full of antioxidant-rich phytonutrients, which help to stops the fire of free radicals our bodies generate and are exposed to every day. Includes the mineral copper which supports the oxygenation of red blood cells and aiding in cellular energy production. Also is the highest food in magnesium, which is a mineral that’s crucial for cardiovascular health, optimal blood pressure, and protein synthesis.
Xylitol: looks and tastes like sugar but offers the opposite effects of white sugar! Xylitol is a prebiotic as it encourages good gut flora (i.e., helpful microorganisms that live in your digestive tract). Xylitol prevents bacterial growth, tooth decay and also helps to remineralize teeth that already have begun to decay. You can find this at Bulk Barn.
Sea Salt – Offers many vitamins and minerals. This site here sums it all up nicely!
Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil – energizing to give you a renewed feeling of vigor. The health benefits of peppermint oil include its ability to treat indigestion, respiratory problems, headache, nausea, fever, stomach and bowel spasms, as well as for pain relief.
(you can order through this link here, pls change Enroller ID: 3412191) or make sure you are using a high grade PURE organic, NON-GMO essential oil.
Original Recipe idea from Amy Layne’s Black Bean Brownies with Chocolate Swirl