I wanted to create some healthy treats for my body image group and men’s health course members for this weekend. These energy balls are tasty, energy sustaining, healthy, heart healthy and delicious!
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries (defrost if frozen)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 and 1/3 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter, of course!) 😉
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons Tripow powder (or spirulina and chlorella powder)
- 2/3 cup chia seeds (unsoaked)
For Rolling Balls in:
- 4 tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder Directions
- 1) Using a blender, blend the blueberry & honey together until liquified
- . 2) Add the salt, cinnamon, nut butter, vanilla, cacao, Tripow and mix again until it becomes a thick chocolate ganache (yes, it will be hard to resist from sampling!) 😉
- 3) Then add the coconut and chia seeds and process well
- 4) Wet your hands with water, grab enough of the mix to make a gumdrop size ball, roll into the cocoa powder and hemp seed mixture to gently coat, and roll between your hands to make a ball.
- 5) Place ball into a pyrex dish and repeat. Once the balls fill up the pyrex dish bottom, you can place parchment paper on top to place the 2nd layer of balls on top. Makes about 40 balls (depending on the size of balls).
Blueberries: holds the highest antioxidant of any fresh fruit, neutralizes free radicals (which can affect disease and aging in the body); promotes urinary tract health; preserves vision to name a few.
Peanut Butter: When it comes to peanut butter, organic and natural is best because non-organic PB is high in toxins. The poly- and monounsaturated fats in PB lower your risk of developing heart disease by reducing the amount of harmful cholesterol in your bloodstream, and also prevent type 2 diabetes. PB is also has potassium, which helps your nerves function properly and aids in heart function. Peanut butter offers a small quantity of protein too. In addition, PB contains a specific compound that fights the effects of stress: beta-sitosterol! Yay for PB!!
Cocoa Powder: packed full of antioxidant-rich phytonutrients, which help to stops the fire of free radicals our bodies generate and are exposed to every day. Includes the mineral copper which supports the oxygenation of red blood cells and aiding in cellular energy production. Also is the highest food in magnesium, which is a mineral that’s crucial for cardiovascular health, optimal blood pressure, and protein synthesis.
Shredded Coconut Flakes: Includes a healthy does of protein, zinc, iron, and fibre.
Chia Seeds: Is a great source of healthy omega-3 fats and fibre. Also boosts energy, stabilizes blood sugar, aids digestion, and lowers cholesterol.
Hemp Hearts: Are a great source of protein, omega-3 essential fatty acids, and are an awesome source of iron, vitamin E and GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an Omega-6 fatty acid. Yes Please!